Thursday, February 01, 2007

Best of January

The first of the year. On the first of Feb. A quick round-up of some of my choices of stuff that was new and about in January.

Album of the month

Serious Times - various artists

I've already waxed lyrical about how great this album is. Check here for my breathless review. It's also given me my song of the month - Turbulence's amazing tale of rude boy redemption - Notorious. Sizzling hot production and a great tune. What more could you ask for in a not-so-cold January than a taste of Jamaican sunshine!

Download: Turbulence - Notorious

Songs of the month


Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill

The other big stunner of the month. An absolute killer track - simple bouncy electro with Pip chucking out killer one-liners over the top. There's just so much here to amuse. My current favourite "Guns, bitches and bling are not one of the four elements and never will be". Unfortunately I obtained this track, promising I wouldn't post it, so no mp3 I'm afraid - go to their myspace to listen. And wait for the release. It's going to be huge!

Check Music Like Dirt for more on le Sac and Pip.

Tap Tap - To Our Continuing Friendship

I'm still not totally sure about the consistency of Tap Tap's touted-by-some album Lanzafame, but I'm pretty convinced of the greatness of this cracking little piece of ramshackle lo-fi indie pop, which bubbles along, propelled by its sprightly chorus for less than two and a half glorious mintues.

Pop Levi - Sugar Assault Me Now

An ace fuzzy bass riffin', glammed up West Cost pop from Pop Levi. I wrote a review of this for The Downloader.

Lucky Soul - Ain't Never Been Cool

They're right. Lucky Soul may never be cool. Especially since they're unlikely to be part of a scene. Especially one with 'new' or 'nu' attached to its name. Maybe we should invent a new retro soul pop scene. For that is what they are. They could be its leading lights. And deservedly famous. In the meantime, I'll keep buying their cute 7 inches and savouring their perky delights.

Husky Rescue - Nightless Night

More sprightly pop. This time Finnish exports Husky Rescue get their usually downbeat dusty charms get a synthy makeover, to fine effect. I did a Downloader review of this one too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving the Turbulence track. TBG caters to all quality tastes obviously. Only found this blog today. Track after track after track...

- JohnB