Monday, September 04, 2006

Best of August

Late as usual, here's August's picks...

Album of the month

Various - The World is Gone

It just had to be this album from the mysterious duo formerly known as Various Productions. It's fizzing and crackling with spark and genius. And the songwriting is almost as good as the production. I'll be surprised if this isn't in my top 10 at the end of the year. Check my review here (and I still have a couple Various posters to give away).

Download: Various - Hater

Buy The World is Gone.


Songs of the month


Lambchop - The Paperback Bible

The gorgeous opening track from their new album. I haven't listened to Damaged nearly as much as I should have. I seem to spend most of the time listening to this one instead. And rightly so.

Lucky Soul - Baby I'm Broke


A lovely slice of southern soul from erm, south London. Apparently Lucky Soul are headed into the studio to record their debut album. If this track is anything to go by, it could be a cracker.

iLiKETRAiNS - Rook House for Bobby


I just had to check out the debut mini-album Progress Reform after seeing the band with the most annoying typography last week. And no surprises, it's great. This is my current favourite track. It's about slightly crazy former chess champ Bobby Fischer, y'know. Apparently he wanted a house built like a rook. I guess that would be the chess piece, but imagine it was the bird! Mad, and good then.

Christina Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man

The album's probably gash, but I don't really care about that. This is a surely a top tune in anyone's book.

The Blood Arm - Do I Have Your Attention?

I'm so glad I was introduced to this lot earlier in the month. Their electrifying live show is well worth experiencing too. This is my favourite track from their sorta unavailable debut album Bomb Romantics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rook house was my favorite song of last year. Still absolutely brilliant!