Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The class of '91

Yesterday, to accompany me getting round to the last hurdle in my kitchen refit (for those of you who care, this was the first hurdle), I had BBC 6 Music’s nostalgia-fest that was The Class of ’91 (unsurprisingly featuring loads if music from that year). Now I don’t always go for nostalgia-fests, but this one was the business.

You see, 1991 was a big year for me and music. I had previously begun to get into Madchester and acid house, but I was always following my mates’ taste. In ’91 I felt like I was striking it out alone, what with my avid reading of the Melody Maker and NME to discover this brave new world of indie music. And in retrospect, it was a good year, as 6 Music no doubt also thought.

For me, there were albums from Throwing Muses (The Real Ramona), My Bloody Valentine (Loveless) and REM (Out of Time). I still remember the week that Screamadelica and Trompe le Monde came out. I also remember the Scream’s 10/10 review in NME. In the same issue's reviews, the Pixies also fared well, as did a lesser-known Seattle grunge band called Nirvana.

And of course, there was Teenage Fanclub. Starsign was the soundtrack to my summer, along with shoegazing favourites from Moose, The Pale Saints, Chapterhouse and Lush. And then there was the excitement on the day in October Bandwagonesque was released, skipping lectures to go to Fopp and buy my copy! Ah, nostalgia.

Anyway, here are some tunes. In addition to the above indie stuff, there's also a couple of albums from '91 that I came to appreciate later - Massive Attack's Blue Lines and the Young Disciples' Road to Freedom.

Download: Throwing Muses - Two Step (Buy)
Download: My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep (Buy)
Download: REM - Country Feedback (Buy)
Download: Primal Scream - Loaded (Buy)
Download: Pixies - Motorway to Rosswell (Buy)
Download: Teenage Fanclub: Alcoholiday (Buy)
Download: Massive Attack - Safe From Harm (Buy)
Download: Young Disciples - Apparently Nothin' (Buy)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The lids are swappable, like an old-school Nokia. Listed here it truly is without having one particular.
It really is also a fantastic measurement as being a put together Television and personal computer for your student, in which space -- as well as value -- are crucial issues. Rather than possessing a Tv as well as a different laptop computer in people compact halls of residence, the 17R might be utilized for mastering within the day when staying large enough to enjoy a fantastic movie inside the evening.

It would not be Total Hd, nevertheless it at the very least appears to be fairly vivid and daring. I was not in a position to check it appropriately and needed to create a rapid judgement underneath the gallery lighting at Dell's showcase, but it appeared perfectly suitable for playing back again DVDs (there was no Blu-ray participant on the product I employed), looking at some YouTube clips or settling down for some work should the deadline has as a final point arrived. I am going to leave my ultimate judgement to the full overview however.HP CQ40 adapter
sony vgp-bps2 battery
HP DV7 ac adapter
Dell D820 battery
hp pavilion dv4 battery
HP DV6700 adapter
Hp Pavilion DV6000 battery
Hp Pavilion Dv6000 Adapter