Thursday, October 25, 2007

4 or 5 Magicians


Here’s something that finally made its way to me the other day after languishing in the strike-ridden postal system for a few weeks. It’s the new single/EP from 4 or 5 Magicians, a Brighton band which reputedly formed ‘due to necessity’ in autumn 2005 when their frontman Dan failed to book an opening act for a gig he was putting n. Two years and a bit of line-up re-jigging later they’re beginning to win plaudits and people are taking notice.

I remember back in the early/mid-90s in Glasgow that every other band seemed to want to be Pavement, such was their influence at the time. So much that when bands came along with a different formula (like Bis) you’d immediately sit up and take notice. These days, with all the young bucks going spiky and angular, it’s actually more interesting when bands begin referencing Stephen Malkmus and co. Sure, Los Campesinos! have been giving the US slacker rock style a shot of energy and sprightly pop tunes, but there’s probably room for some more, which includes the Magicians boys with their pleasingly ramshackle sound.

That said, the song I’m posting sounds nothing like what I’ve described above. That’s because the last track on the single finds the band doing version of the lead track Forever on the Edge in a sort of late night bar-room Tom Waits stylee. And even though it’s obviously meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it’s actually the best thing on the single. I’m not necessarily recommending a change in direction, but it does seem like they’re onto something here.

Download: 4 or 5 Magicians – Tom Waits Blues


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just inspired! I am going to have to buy that single, and I am going to end buying my first record player some fifteen years after they became obsolete!

The Daily Growl said...

Of course you are. All true music lovers should have one. And they never really became obselete. This is a lesson that I've learned myself the hard way after getting rid of my turntable and a load of vinyl in the mid-90s. I can never get some of these records back now. Sniff...

Anonymous said...

Well I will have to resist the urge to rebuild my entire record collection on vinyl if I do. The temptation to buy everything by Waits, Dylan, Cave, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Calexico, Yo La Tengo, Weddoes... where would I stop!