Monday, March 20, 2006

Shake, Shake, Shimmy

Not all the good bands are at SXSW at the moment, you know. One that should be treading the board of next year’s festival though, should be Lucky Soul, once their star begins its inevitable rise. I only heard about them last week, but have become quickly hooked by their catchy indie meets Motown and Spector pop tunes. Think Saint Etienne without the disco and synths and a load more soul.

Last night I caught them live at a free showcase at the Old Blue Last pub in Shoreditch, and yeah, it was a short ‘n’ lovely set. They cut a fabulously retro dash (as you may be able to see from the pic), looking a wee bit like something straight outta 60s Carnaby Street.

I really enjoyed their set, which contained bursts of euphoric pop-soul goodness, with some techy problems. Highlights for me were the glorious Give me Love (part of their new double A side single with the almost-as-lovely My Brittle Heart), and Baby I’m Broke, a great ballad which nods both at the anthemic indie singalong and classic southern soul. And oddly enough, although singer Ali Howard's voice doesn't seem very strong on record, it sounds much better live.

As a band, they’re still a wee bit rough around the edges, but they’ve got time on their side. And they’re just so damn loveable that I’m sure that the good will that was there for them at the gig last night will go further with them. And is it time for the indie boys to have a new Sarah Cracknell in the shape of Ali Howard? I’m not sure – maybe it’ll be a different generation of indie boys. Whatever, I’m fairly sure they’re going on to greater things...

Download: Lucky Soul - Give Me Love
Download: Lucky Soul - Lips are Unhappy

Go to Karmadownload to to buy the new single out today on download. The limited edition 7 inch is out next week. You can probably get that from Rough Trade.

2 comments:

JOE GILLIS said...

Very nice post. I discovered some of their MP3s last year and fell in love with them as well (My Brittle Heart, especially). I'm looking forward to them getting a full-length together.

The Daily Growl said...

Yeah. Hope it's not too long. They said something at the gig about Lips Are Unhappy being the next single 'in the summer' or something. Maybe they're not in a hurry...