Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ivor Cutler RIP

I've just found out that the great Scottish poet/musician Ivor Cutler has died. Apparently he died on Friday, but the news only came ou today. I can't claim to be a big fan, but I've been aware of him ever since I started listening to John Peel back in my fresh teenage days. His dulcet Scottish tones always stood out against the raging guitars and repetitive beats Peel was playing at the time. I got my interest re-revived after watching a charming documentary about him on BBC4 last year. I hope they show it again in memoriam.

He recorded 21 sessions for John Peel, which must have been more than any other artist. Maybe except The Fall. He was said to be an inspiration to the Beatles, and appeared in the Magical Mystery Tour film. He was certainly an inspiration to Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand.

There's an obituary in today's Guardian.

More on Cutler from this fansite.

I've only got one Cutler track. Here it is:

Download: Everybody Got

No comments: