Friday, February 17, 2006

You got the love - again!

I don't really keep up with the pop charts these days. At my age, it might be expected, but I was looking through my copy of The Guardian's Music and Film supplement today, and was pretty startled to see that in the UK singles charts, at number 7 is The Source feat Candi Staton 'You got the love'! What? Where did that come from? Is it in some ad I'm not aware of? Someone's obviously thought that it needs a bit of a re-release.

Now, it's a great tune, but if you like Candi's voice and fancy checking out some more of her music, you absolutely have to have the complilation, simly called 'Candi Staton' which was released by Damon Albarn's Honest Jon's Records last year. It's an amazing album. But be warned - it's not full of shimmery disco-ness (nice though that is). It's real earthy, emotional southern soul, recorded at the legendary Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Candi sings like she really means it, and given that the lyrics of many of the songs deal in lost love and heartbreak, it's pretty, well, heartbreaking. Totally essential. Check out two of my favourite songs from the album below. You can buy it here, but I remember that it was available from Fopp stores for a £5 recently. Maybe it still is. You'll rarely spend better fiver!

Download I'm Just a Prisoner of Your Good Lovin'
Download Heart on a String

No comments: