Friday, February 08, 2008

Whatever happened to the Mystery Jets?


Not 'whatever happened' as in 'where are they now?' but more, when did they suddenly become good?

I've never really been a big fan of Mystery Jets, ever since the summer of 2005 when I was trapped in the old Rough Trade Covent Garden shop by the sheer weight of their young fans crowding the staircase as they played an instore gig. There was only so many times I could browse the 7 inches and I got quite bored before they finished their set. When their debut album came out the next year, I wasn't too interested in that either.

However things seem to have improved. The song Flakes, which was doing the rounds at the end of last year is actually really good (it took Jeremy Warmsley's 'TV show' to help me realise this - watch it again here), and new single Young Love featuring Laura Marling is a bit of a corker too. So I'll have better expectations of their new album 21, for sure.

Download: Mystery Jets - Flakes

No comments: