Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Greetings, Saluations, Goodbye


Here's a song that put a spring in my step on my way to work this morning. I was fiddling around with my iPod, wondering what to listen to when the blue line fell once again on Hold Yer Horses, the second album by Kansas-bred, London-dwelling songstress Piney Gir. It's an album that went un-lauded when it came out in 2006 (myself included), but it's one that I find myself often returning to when I need a dose of sweet country-pop.

That's what it is - nothing complex, nothing edgy, just soaringly good pop tunes, where the luscious twang of the pedal steel and roll of the honky-tonk piano is never far away. The whole album is great, but it's this one tune that I'll probably never tire of. Enjoy.


Buy Hold Yer Horses from emusic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fucking hell mate, that headline had me scared for a bit. Got the right cold sweats, so I did.

The Daily Growl said...

haha - i'll need to watch out when I post 'This is the End' by the Doors. Only I won't because it's shit.

Anonymous said...

I discovered Piney Gir because the guy from The Research had it spelled out on the front of his keyboard when I saw them play. I like her a lot.

The Daily Growl said...

Whatever happened to The Research, eh?

Anonymous said...

They recorded their second album in Sweden with Per Sunding (he used to be in this band Eggstone, he also produced the new Envelopes) and it's supposedly coming out in the Spring. I think.