Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Singles going steady 4: It all starts with a !!!


Next up in the series is !!! If I’d been more astute, this one would’ve been first. As all users of iTunes know, symbols trump letters in the alphabetical ordering stakes. So !!! are right there at the top of the ‘artists’ list on my iPod. Which also means that I hear the opening beats of Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard, every time I accidentally hit play. Today on the way to work I hit play deliberately and played the whole song through, something I rarely do. It’s great.

It actually sounds really 'now', even though !!! released it four years ago. There’s so much of this kind of stuff around at the moment as kids around the world take up spiky guitars and synths. But it still sounds fresh and better than so much else currently out there. Kids, take note!

To be honest, although I snapped this up when the hype was building around the New York group, and loved it, I haven’t really bothered to listen to much more of !!!’s output since. But somehow I’m thinking that it’s not been easy for them to top the glorious 18 minutes 11 seconds of the two tracks on this CD. If you can prove me wrong, I’ll be very pleased indeed.

Download: !!! - Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story)

It's pretty hard to find this one now. Best check eBay if you want to buy it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here the problem with having your name as a symbol--I heard one song by these guys, thought it was pretty good and wanted to learn more. Do you know how hard it is to do a search for these guys? I have tried google, yahoo and even Hype Machine. If you know how to search for them, let me know.

The Daily Growl said...

The trick is to use the received phonetic pronounciation (there is on despite the band saying you can use any repetitive sound) - chk chk chk, which is also their website address.